The Union County Board of Commissioners is pleased to announce that box-lunch meals for pick-up will once again be available to seniors through the “Grab & Go” nutrition program. A voluntary donation of $1.75 is suggested for each meal.
“On behalf of the Commissioner Board, I would like to thank everyone who worked tirelessly to get this popular program back on its feet after the storm,” said Commissioner Board Chairman Alexander Mirabella. “We developed Grab & Go to provide seniors with a contact-free meal option during the COVID-19 pandemic, and since then it has become a mainstay of our nutrition services for seniors.”
The Grab & Go program is administered by the Union County Division on Aging and Disability Resource Connection in the Department of Human Services. It is offered to Union County residents age 60 and up, who are not receiving home delivered meals from Meals on Wheels.
The program is available through 19 local senior centers and senior housing sites throughout Union County.
Eligible seniors can come to any of these sites on Tuesdays and Thursdays between the hours of approximately 11:30 am to 12:30 pm. to pick up a lunch. No reservations are required. Meals will be distributed on a “first come, first served” basis due to limited supplies.
Masks must be worn at all times, and social distancing maintained, in order to pick up a lunch.
Any eligible senior can use the Grab and Go program at any of the following senior centers:
- Ann Ferguson Towers, 1601 Dill Ave., Linden
- Casano Community Center, 314 Chestnut St., Roselle Park
- Cranford Lincoln Apartments, 800 Lincoln Ave., Cranford
- Ehrhart Gardens, 100 Francis St., Union
- Farley Towers, 33 Cherry St., Elizabeth
- Gregorio Recreation Center—330 Helen St., Linden
- Hillside Senior Center—265 Hollywood Ave., Hillside
- JFK Senior Apartments, 250 W. Grand Ave., Rahway
- Kenilworth Senior Center—526 Boulevard, Kenilworth
- Liberty Square Senior Center—204 Elizabeth Ave., Elizabeth
- O’Donnell Dempsey Senior Center—622 Salem Ave., Elizabeth
- Plainfield Senior Center—400 E. Front St., Plainfield
- Roselle Community Center—1268 Shafer Ave., Roselle
- Schaefer Gardens, 35 Summer Ave., Union
- Shady Rest Golf and Country Club, 820 Jerusalem Rd., Scotch Plains
- Stephen Sampson Center, 800 Anna St., Elizabeth
- Union Senior Center—968 Bonnel Ct., Union
- Westfield Community Center—558 W. Broad St., Westfield
- Winfield Community Center—25 Roosevelt Dr., Winfield Park
The Grab and Go program is designed to allow for safe social distancing to protect against transmission of COVID-19, while continuing to provide healthy meals for Union County’s aging population. Each meal meets one-third of the daily nutritional requirements of an adult aged 60 or older.
Click here for more updated information